Singapore

When Your Code Finally Works!

Orginially posted on Jun 3, 2016

Reposted on June 4, 2016 

Oh dang, I wrote out an entire post about my project, then I just found out today that it somehow got deleted? Ah well, I’m going to try an rewrite whatever I talked about yesterday. Pretty sure it was about my project at the National University of Singapore (NUS) lab, so here goes!

Yesterday was Friday, so that means I’ve finished my second week of lab! This summer, I’m a research intern at the National University of Singapore in an electrical and computer engineering (ECE) lab. I’m a biomedical engineering major (without much background in ECE), so working in this lab has been really challenging- but I’m learning so much!

My project’s offical title is “Detecting the Freezing of Gait in Parkinsons’s Disease Patients.” The title itself doesn’t really give much to go on, and I didn’t really get a specific task until this week. Last week (my first week in lab), I just watched tutorials on the iOS programming language Objective C, since the research assistant told Shar and me to prepare for our projects by watching those lecture tutorials (which were hella boring). Shar is another Hopkins student in my lab whose project is on remote sensing in hospitals using Bluetooth, which incorportes a lot of progamming.

Anyways, this week I’ve been working on modifying an Arduino code so that it will work with LidarLite infrared sensor. The code is supposed to start a timer whenever someone (aka the Parkinson’s patient) walks in front of the sensor and stop the timer when the patient walks in front of the sensor again. I got the code to work with an Arduino Uno (a typical Arduino) and the LidarLite, but the challenge was getting the code to work with a Bluno Beetle (a mini Arduino Uno, but with Bluetooth capability).

To get it to work, I had to solder on wires to the SDA and SCL parts of the Bluno Beetle. This was a challenge, since I have never soldered before and working with hot metals seems a bit scary. But in the end, I got it! It took me a while to solder the wires onto the Bluno Beetle, but I did it and the code worked!

IMG_2904
Underside of a Bluno Beetle, with soldered parts

Next week, I’m going to have to actually implement the Bluetooth part of this Bluno. The final outcome of my project is a code that sends the time elapsed via Bluetooth to an iOS app on a doctor’s iPad.

I’ve got 6 more weeks to do this!

After lab yesterday, I went to one of the malls in Jurong East (there’s like 4 malls connected to the MRT station; they’re all gigantic) and got a selfie stick! I accidentally got a mini version which only extends to 42 cm, but it’s so cute!

IMG_2912
First selfie taken with the aforementioned selfie stick ft. my shopping bag and purse

This selfie stick came in handy today, when I went on my solo adventure in Singapore! Check out my next post for that!

Advertisements

One thought on “When Your Code Finally Works!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s